What do you do with shares when somebody dies?

Losing a loved one is an incredibly difficult time. When mourning somebody close to you, it can be difficult to begin considering the complex process of administering a deceased’s estate, yet the task of doing so is vitally important. Cave & Sons can support you in this difficult time by helping you to navigate through the process of selling/transferring shares which make up a part of the deceased’s estate. For a more detailed overview of this service, please read our in depth Bereavement Guide

Understanding what happens to a person’s shares when they die

When a shareholder dies, their shares will be inherited by whoever is named as a beneficiary in their will. The estate administration will be overseen by the Executor(s) of the will, one or more persons whom the deceased have chosen in their will. Executors are often family or friends, but sometimes the deceased may prefer an ‘unbiased’ Executor to take care of their affairs, such as a solicitor. Person(s) in this role are also called ‘personal representatives’.

For us to help with the probate process, will will need to see:

  • A copy of the death certificate 
  • A Grant of Representation, which confirms the personal representatives who have the authority to act on behalf of the estate.

If the deceased left no will, and thus no personal representatives were appointed, then a Grant of Letters of Administration must be obtained, which confirms the ability of ‘administrators’ to act instead of personal representatives. Administrators will also be needed if the shares are inherited by a child, as children cannot act as Executors.

For more information on the required documentation, including more detail on specific circumstances, please refer to our Bereavement Guide.

What can we assist you with?

As part of our Bereavement Service, we can offer support in many areas related to deceased estate administration, including:

  • Selling shares
  • Transferring shares
  • Support with other miscellaneous investments
  • Donating shares to charity

If you would like to find out more information, please refer to our guide. Alternatively, you are welcome to call the office on 01604 621 421, or fill in our online contact form and we’ll be in touch.

Cave & Sons Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA),  Financial Services Register number 143715.